In the summer of 1949 Mr Hart and his wife, accepted the posts of Head and Matron.
The Whitbread Travel Scholarship was first awarded in 1950 for pupils to spend their summer abroad. The scholarship is open to all the children, day and boarding, whether fee-paying or assisted, to enable them to learn at first hand of the life and customs of countries other than their own.
In 1952 Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II became Patron.
From time to time there have been those who have tried to change the name of the Licensed Victuallers School. One such attempt was made in 1953. The alternatives were ‘The King William School’ and ‘The Queen Adelaide School’, but the idea was not successful.
It was again suggested that fee-paying pupils from the trade be admitted in 1953, but in 1954 it was decided to admit pupils from outside the trade, both to swell the coffers and to increase the numbers to produce a sounder educational unit. The first fee-paying children entered the building in January 1955.
Black and white image of the coat of arms presented to the School by the Old Scholars’ Association in 1955
With the increased numbers it was essential to increase the staff and facilities again, and also to widen the range of taught subjects.
It was decided to build a new junior block, laboratories and class rooms, and an assembly hall to be financed by public subscription. An appeal was duly launched and the necessary money raised.
In 1958 a sports field was acquired at Taplow, and the covered play-sheds at each end of the main block were walled in with glass to make two new classrooms.
The foundation stone of the new build was laid by the President, Lt Col W Kingsmill, DSO, MC, in January 1959 and the buildings were opened in March 1960 by Princess Alexandra of Kent.
The equipment for the laboratories was presented by Messrs Guinness, the brewers.
The Science Block and Assembly Hall in 1960
The Junior School, 1960
In the summer of 1966 a block of six staff flats was opened in Wellesley Road, at the rear of the school, and three houses in the same road were purchased to house additional staff. Several international cricketers played in the celebratory match to open the pavilion at Taplow that same summer.
After a further inspection by Her Majesty’s Inspectors in autumn 1966, it was decided to build a craft/domestic science block, a giant sports hall and study cubicles for the boarders.
The new buildings were opened by the Duchess of Kent in November 1969.
New craft block 1969
The Cookery Room